Kybella has become increasingly popular in the cosmetic industry as the leading non-invasive treatment for eliminating stubborn subcutaneous fat beneath the chin, also known as the double chin. What makes a double chin particularly stubborn is that there is no way to target the area through diet and exercise directly. Kybella® works by destroying the fat cells so the body can gradually eliminate them.
That said, below are 7 things you should know before getting a Kybella treatment.
1) What Is Kybella Treatment For?
Kybella is meant to treat submental fat or a double chin, which is a natural area for fat deposits to settle as a result of weight gain, the natural aging process, or just through genetics. A double chin is particularly stubborn because there’s no way to directly target the area through exercise.
Regular diet and exercise, in general, will help reduce it. However, depending on what caused it, it’s not guaranteed, and getting rid of it without a targeted treatment like Kybella is extremely difficult.
2) How Does Kybella Work?
Kybella is a non-invasive injectable treatment for the area under the chin (known as lipolysis). The FDA approved Kybella in 2015 as a non-surgical component. It is a popular choice that achieves similar results to a facelift or liposuction without much downtime.
In fact, Kybella’s main ingredient is deoxycholic acid, a synthetic form of a substance naturally produced by the body. Once injected, it functions as a bile acid to absorb fat. That said, Kybella applies that action method to the chin area, wherein deoxycholic acid destroys fat cells and inhibits their ability to store fat.
3) What Are The Other Areas That Kybella Can Address?
Not only that it’s beneficial for the subcutaneous fat beneath the chin (a.k.a submental fullness), Kybella can also be used in a few other commonly complained about areas, such as:
- Bra area
4) How To Prepare Before A Kybella Treatment?
The first step in preparing for a Kybella treatment is to discuss it with a skincare professional. The provider will ask about the patient’s medical history, including any history of bleeding issues, trouble swallowing, or cosmetic procedures that are done on the face, chin, or neck. The primary purpose is to verify if the treatment best suits an individual and minimize the treatment’s risks and side effects.
On the other hand, Kybella is also not recommended for those who are pregnant or breastfeeding. If possible, try to reduce the usage of anything that may increase the likelihood of bruising or bleeding the week before the treatment, including aspirin, NSAIDs, and vitamins A and E. Foods high in sodium, salt, and carbs excessively spicy should also be avoided.
Scheduling an appointment at least two weeks before any significant events is also a great idea so that the skin has enough time to heal. Those with sensitive skin may want to wait even longer.
5) What Happens During The Actual Procedure?
The patient will be asked to wash the face (if it wasn’t yet done at home) to help remove bacteria and minimize infection risk. After the face is clean and dry, the next step is to apply cold packs directly to the treatment areas. Cold packs help minimize discomfort during the procedure while also reducing swelling.
Once the face is prepped and ready, the provider will perform the injections. Injections last around 15 minutes, but reaching the goal may take multiple sessions. While the procedure may be slightly uncomfortable, most patients tolerate it well.
Keep in mind that each session of Kybella can include up to 50 separate injections. After the injections are complete, the cold packs will be reapplied to help further reduce the swelling that may experience.
6) What To Expect After Kybella?
A treatment plan should be provided by the healthcare provider according to the patient’s specific needs. To reach desired aesthetic goals with Kybella, most people require more than one treatment.
In fact, many people who’ve received Kybella treatment achieved visible results after two to four treatments, according to clinical studies. In 59 percent of cases, six treatments were necessary. Once the deoxycholic acid destroys fat cells in the submental area, the results should be lasting, and further treatment is not expected as the fat cells can no longer store fat.
7) Is Kybella a Permanent Fix for Fat Loss?
Kybella is a revolutionary new treatment that can minimize the look of a double chin without incisions, sutures, any form of surgery, and even general anesthesia. This groundbreaking innovation produces long-lasting results since it eliminates unwanted fat by destroying it and prevents the targeted areas from storing or collecting any new fat in the future. As a result, this treatment gives results that are not reversible.
Post Treatment Guidelines
- Redness or sensitivity might be present (up to a few hours).
- Use Tylenol only as needed for any soreness.
- It can take approximately 12 weeks for results to be seen. Additional injections may be needed if the desired result is not seen after 12 weeks of the treatment.
- Sleep face up and slightly elevated. This will also help with swelling.
- Do not touch, press, rub, massage, or manipulate the treatment area.
- Ice the treated areas for the next 24 hours. Place the ice pack on the area for 20 minutes and remove the ice pack for 20 minutes. Continue this pattern for 24 hours.
- Apply (over-the-counter) Arnica gel to the treatment area to help decrease bruising, swelling, and discomfort.
- Drink plenty of water and fluids after treatment.
- Avoid vigorous exercise and sun and heat exposure for 3-5 days after treatment.
- Avoid Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin E or any other essential fatty acids, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve, and other NSAIDs at least 3 days to 1 week after treatment. These items may increase bleeding and bruising.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplement, high-sodium foods, high-sugar foods, refined carbohydrates, spicy foods, and cigarettes 24-48 hours after the treatment so as not to increase swelling or irritation.
- Avoid cosmetic treatments such as injectables, lasers, ultrasounds, peels, facials, or micro-dermabrasion to the Kybella treatment area.
- Report to the provider immediately if experiencing asymmetric smile or facial muscle weakness, skin ulceration in the treatment area, difficulty swallowing, or any existing symptom that worsens.
The Bottom Line
Kybella is a non-invasive treatment that helps dissolve unwanted fat without surgery and is ideal for those more concerned about slimming down than plumping up. Beauty & Medicine Medspa offers Kybella®, a perfect solution and a prescription injectable used to improve the chin profile by permanently destroying targeted fat cells. Once the layer of fat is dissolved, it is gone for good!